Sunday, May 23, 2010

Creative Outlet

I have a hole in my life. One that even chocolate and Diet Coke fall short of filling. (Side note: I haven't had a DC in over two weeks.) In occurred to me recently what that need is. In a talk given in the Fall of 2008, Dieter F. Uchtdorf said:

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.
Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty."

It seems like those close to me have already found their niches. I have a sister that makes fabulous custom quilts, a cousin that makes jewelry, a friend who makes amazing custom cakes, etc. I don't enjoy sewing, and I should probably don't need to spend any more time around food than is necessary (though cake wouldn't be my treat of choice anyway), but I do have a few ideas based on my unique talents.

I've decided to present the ideas to you, my loyal readers, and let you decide where my time would be best spent. So here we go. The options I've come up with are....*drum roll*...

1) Intricate paper snowflakes
2) Custom pinatas
3) Thoughtful poetry
4) Paper mache animals

You may cast your votes in the poll on the side of the blog, and I'll announce the winner when the poll is closed. Other suggestions? I'm all ears!

13 comments:

Mom said...

Okay, so I cannot choose just one. Poetry caught my attention right away. But then I love the things you have done before in the paper mache line and pinatas would fit right into that too. And I LOVE snowflakes in all art media. ???

A.W. said...

I was just thinking that Pinatas & Paper Mache Animals kind of go together! You could also make a Snowflake Pinata! Poetry (or writing anything) are great outlets for your thoughts, that's why I blog!

Brooke said...

I love this poll! I for sure vote custom pinatas but I do see how some others fit with it. How fun would that be! ha ha. You are seriously awesome. I mean it. :)

Unknown said...

custom pinatas! after all, you DO live in arizona...isn't that the NEW mexico? =) (i just realized i'm signed in as linzi...i'm sure she would vote for pinatas as well. =)

Brenda said...

I voted for paper mache animals, but I really wanted to vote for "anything but poetry". I know, I'm uncultured.

I've actually been trying to think of something since last night, but I have yet to hit on the perfect thing. I'm close though. I think it might have something to do with sculpting with shaved ice...not to be confused with ice sculpting, though that might be enjoyable as well.

Mom said...

Okay, after careful consideration, I have voted for custom pinatas. Based on the assumption that you may also have a financial motive along with the creative one. Seems pinatas would be a natural for where you live. Was it J who mentioned something like that. Your poetry is great and could be a fun production if you wrote a whole book of it with photography and/or illustrations. Jeana has written a book I seem to remember...

Ami said...

There's a six week seminar at the library this summer on freelance writing and the various markets. I might sign up for it...

Tiffany Fife Buckmiller said...

My vote is to become a writer of some sort. I've never heard your poetry so i can't vouch for it. But I can vouch for your writing and you have a way with words. Seriously. I always wait to see what you'll write next. Go Ahmi!!! By the way I loved the use of that quote...

Erin said...

Maybe the poetry can be printed on the side of the pinata. (My vote was for pinatas). Poetry would be great-maybe when you're in the depths of despair or having a sleepless night.?:) I think you could combine all of them--Poetry on the pinata animal hanging from a snowflake chain.

Brooke said...

Hmmm...I do agree that I love your writing so maybe that class will be a great idea! As long as you do make some pinatas on the side or when you need a break. I'm just sayin, I think the pinatas is a great idea. :)

Erin said...

Derek votes for paper mache animals.

whitney said...

Paper Mache!!! It's a good excuse to make a mess!

Ami said...

Well, clearly the winner was custom pinatas. I may have to dabble a bit in each before making any drastic efforts. Thanks everyone for your input!