Monday, April 23, 2012

Inhale, Breathe Steady, Exhale

Tonight I found myself lying on a blanket on the grass by myself looking up at the stars, due in part to a need to clear my mind and to the promise of a meteor shower.

As I did so, a song was running through my head that I first heard (embarrassingly enough) on an episode of Drop Dead Diva entitled "Happily Ever After" by a group called He is We. The chorus reads:

Oh, happily ever after, wouldn't you know, wouldn't you know.
Oh, skip to the ending. Who'd like to know, I'd like to know.
Author of the moment, can you tell me? Do I end up, do I end up happy?


The thing about shooting stars is that it's all a waiting game.  You wait for what feels like forever until you forget why you're out there.  Start to think about the chilly wind.  The dampness seeping through your blanket.  (The creeper out walking his dog in the middle of the night.)  And just as you decide to go inside, you catch just a glimpse. A slight motion out of the corner of your eye. Just enough to keep you there a little longer... staring, hopeful, toward the sky. Trusting that there's something coming that's worth waiting for.

Inhale, breathe steady, exhale. Like you're ready... if you're ready or not.


Life is a waiting game. Waiting for what's around the corner.  Waiting for promises to be fulfilled. Reminding yourself each day to get up.  To breathe.  To pretend you're okay. Not cold. Not alone. Because your star could come at any moment.  Maybe.

But as the hours pass while you wait for the tiny streaks of light to get you through, it's hard not to wonder... When the morning comes and everything is illuminated...

Do I end up happy?



3 comments:

Mom said...

YES!!!!

April Dawn said...

That actually sounded like a lovely night - aside from the creeper. I hope you caught a few glimpses and I know you have lots of your own meteors to come!

Nathan Roeseler said...

I wondered many a night, for years, this same question.. Was my hand never meant to hold another's... was my stride never meant to match another's.. was my home never meant to be home for 2..... I can tell you that I watched a fiancee walk away, I watched one be called home (too soon)... I watched countless females walk through, or right past my life.... always wondering... with deeper sorrow each passing day.. where was the sun to my moon, the one that would light up my life... did she even exist??

I had actually given up... I lost faith that I was made to stand in tandem...

I know I didn't have to wait nearly as long as others have, but I know I've been through more to find my spouse than many others have...

Good things come to those that wait.. If you want the best of something, often times, you have to save up for it.. The best wines are aged.. as is cheese! lol. Just know that as you see yourself becoming a better person with time, your future spouse is as well. You're too amazing a person to be left standing in the rain without someone to dance there with you.

Keep your chin up and your hopes grand. I promise he's worth every night you'll face alone, and every tear you'll ever cry. Miss you..