Sunday, October 5, 2008

Boy - Friends

I've been listening to a song a lot lately called "Boys with Girlfriends" by Meiko. The chorus of the song says, "I know better not to be friends with boys with girlfriends." I'm here to testify that these lyrics ring true! Better yet... I know better than to be friends with boys. Don't get me wrong...boys are a blast! In fact, I believe they are 98% easier to get along with than girls. However, before you take that step into the male universe, it's important to understand what exactly you're signing up for.

Let me explain.

The more you hang out with boys, the more they see you as one of them... no matter how much lip gloss you wear. It's almost...well, what's the female form of "emasculating"?! Before long they'll be referring to you as "dude", belching your name, and discussing other "attractive" girls as if you're not there. That last one is tricky, trust me.

As a young girl, I wanted nothing more than to grow up to be a boy. True story. Ironically, although I've grown out of that phase, I have been finding myself to be more "manly" than some of the boys I spend time with. It's difficult to decide whether it bothers me or them more. All those skills and interests you would think would impress them starts to throw them off. Ladies, you'll know what I mean if you can do any of the following:
- Properly throw a football.
- Change your own oil.
- Eliminate someone in a game of Risk within 2 turns.
- Bench press at least 70% of your own body weight.
- Use the words "line of scrimmage", "spark plugs", or "John-117" in proper context.

You get what I mean. Do it all whilst wearing dangle earrings and you can really freak some of them out!
The conclusion I came to after all of this thought was this: There is nothing I can do about it. At some point I'll be able to get one of the guys instead of being one of them... but until then, I'll keep fixing my car, watching sports, and kicking trash at world domination games with my high heels on.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Hey Ami- I totally get what you mean. I always hung out with the guys. I had a few very close girlfriends, but my largest circle was boys. I like video games, LOVE college football, like the honesty with which guys approach each other when there's a problem. Girls were always full of too much drama and petty complaints. Give me a ball and let me play! Not only is there a problem with becoming "one of the guys", once you do get married you suddenly realize you have no friends. I didn't marry one of the guys in my group, so suddenly I was an outcast. (I guess you'll still have friends if you do). Then, since you're married, its not appropriate to hang out with or make new friends with guys. I have tried so many times to hang out with the girls, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm not like them and don't get the way they think, honestly. I don't mean for this to sound depressing, just sympathetic. The good news is, once you do get married you're with you're best friend and the rest doesn't really matter in the long run! Love you!

Matt and Angelica said...

I can properly throw a football...It freaks some guys out, without impressing the ones I would like it to. So I get what you're saying, 'cept I can't change my own oil. But, remember Megan Fox in Transformers? The guys wanted her and she worked on cars. I'm just saying...Wait for Shia LaBeouf

- jeana said...

hi cutie! don't worry about the guys! i keep telling beautiful, single young women to enjoy their singlehood, you are married FOREVER! enjoy the few short years alone :)

anyway, i was just checking out brenda's shower blog, great idea! and saw you, so i thought i would say hi, and remind you to send me an invite to the family blog. i STILL have not received one..... xo, aunt jeana

jwhaymond@comcast.net

much love!

Brooke said...

Hello cuz!! You are hilarious and I miss you. Sheesh. Eric would love it if were not such a girly girl so don't worry. I think those are all good qualities to have. I think you are the perfect combination of manlyness and feminineness. Yup, I made those up! But you get what I mean.....love ya!

The Plaisted's said...

Ummm....I love you and miss you and WHY did I not know that you had a blog??? Some guy will for sure luck out! I hear you have moved.

Christopher said...

Hey, if they cannot see what a prize you are, who needs them?! Guys can be far too clueless--myself included, at times.

I certainly have enjoyed having you over to watch OU games! Want to come over for the last one--January 8th vs. the Gators for the national title?

BOOMER SOONER!