Monday, December 15, 2008

No-Snow Snow Days

Today began like any other. My alarm went off at 4:53am, waking me from my dream about riding dragons while playing quidditch. (Not joking.) Took a hot shower. Drank a glass of pomegranate juice. Pulled my hair back. Brushed the ice off my car. Drove at a glacial pace to work....and heard on the radio on the way there that the area schools were closed for the day.

**Interjection**
There was no snow. The roads were covered with ice that fell in pellets all night. It was 75 degrees yesterday. Ridiculous.

Typically, as I later found out, we would not be open on days that school is cancelled. Had I known, I could have slept in in my wonderfully warm bed. Instead I spent 7 lonely hours in an empty fitness center with only a vacuum and duster for company. Needless to say, the place was spotless by the time I left.

I had nearly made it home with no problems until the final turn onto my street when I gently slid into the ditch. My neighbor who was just in front of me when it happened didn't seem all that worried about me. I'd like to think it's because he didn't see... although I could've sworn I saw him laugh in his rearview mirror. Anyway, I worked my way out after 5 minutes of maneuvering and approached my driveway in time to see my nephews riding off down the road on a sled being pulled by...not kidding...a lawnmower. Welcome to the Heartland.

The rest of the day was filled with treasures such as watching Jeopardy in front of my space heater, doing butt crunches with my sister, and trying desperately to find something interesting to write on my blog. (Obviously nothing came of that last one.) It was supposed to be filled with running errands and finding a Christmas gift for my "secret santa" person for our Christmas dinner at work tomorrow. The good news is that school is cancelled tomorrow which means there's a chance the party will be postponed. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

The morals of my story are two fold:
#1 - You don't need snow to have a wonderfully eventful snow day as long as someone in the neighborhood has a sled and a lawnmower.
#2 - Don't procrastinate. Things could get icy.

4 comments:

Britanee Walker said...

Living in utah and being stuck smack-dab in the middle of snowstorms.....and we still go to school!! So not fair....very jealous of your surprised day off, sorry you found out about it that way. If there was no snow, how fun was the ride behind the lawnmower? Hope you can stay home tomorrow and stay snuggled in your nice warm bed. Now that I think about it, we should get snow days paid for too.

Ami said...

The roads really are bad... even after spending the last 5 winters in Idaho. Here it doesn't snow...we just have ice that falls from the sky and stacks up everywhere. Weird.
I didn't get to ride behind the lawnmower, but apparently it was the highlight of the day. (they're from Arizona...)
As it turns out, We did stay closed all day today - mainly because nobody would be there, as learned from yesterday. However, yesterday I got paid to do nothing at work. You don't get paid to do nothing at home. :o(

Brooke said...

I saw Brenda's blog and had to laugh. Love it! I agree with Brit, we RARELY got (get) snow days in Utah. Even in a blizzard. Oh well. I was so glad for the snow storm on Saturday. Put me in the Christmas spirit even more! I think I would rather have snow then ice. I am known to slip and fall on my butt. And I cannot imagine driving on straight ice. No offense, I probably would have laughed at you as well BUT I would have stopped to help (or tried to help:)

Matt and Angelica said...

You are soooo funny! Seriously! I'm laughing...like really laughing at my desk, with a pad thai noodels coming out of my mouth. I just hope no one comes by right now.