Saturday, December 31, 2011

Retro Resolutions

At the wise old age of 26, I think I'm finally getting the hang of this goals thing. I thought I'd figured it all out last New Year's when I decided the key was to set my expectations of myself very low. I made resolutions to do things like not gain 50 lbs (instead of hoping to lose 5 or 10,) eat and sleep daily, get a year older, etc. Don't get me wrong! I still fully support that theory! But I think I've come up with something better.

I call them "Retro Resolutions." Instead of setting expectations at the beginning of the year, I'm going to look back on the previous year and make a list of the resolutions that I would have succeeded in had I made them the year before.

Let's try it! Here are my Retro Resolutions for 2011:

- Lose 7 lbs. (Yes, I actually did. Go figure.)
- Attend an NBA game.
- Remain single. (Not even a close call. Total Success!)
- Learn to play the harmonica. (This one I'm actually kind of proud of... though I've got some improvement to make.)
- Win an iPad2 at a work party.
- Don't go completely broke.
- Start a new job.
- Quit said job for a better position with the previous job.
- Break my addiction to Diet Coke. (I still drink it... but I don't NEED to drink it!)
- Make a quilt.
- Join a gym. (I don't really go, but the option is there.)
- Turn 26. (Done and done.)
- Continue to be awesome.

Okay, okay... I could go on, but it's starting to sound a lot like the goals I made for the year in the first place. My point is that perhaps it's more beneficial to look back and recognize what I actually accomplished rather than realize that I didn't accomplish what I had hoped to.

Happy goal-setting/accomplishment-recognizing (whichever you may prefer) to you all!!
And Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I SO should have figured that out before you did. Thanks for the redirection. Love that plan.