Monday, October 29, 2012

Knowing Win to Quit (That's a pun.)

I love to win.

Winning is my favorite.

Even when it isn't a competition, you can bet I'm doing everything I can to win.  My walls are actually full of imaginary awards that I've won in various non-competitions throughout my life. (Though to the untrained eye, they may look empty...)

That being said, I'm learning these days that there is a certain satisfaction that comes with admitting defeat. Throwing the towel. Looking up at the universe and shouting (only figuratively of course), "Fine, I give up!"

I first learned this lesson that fateful night in the car few years ago in an incident that I won't describe in detail.  Let's just say that nature won, I lost... and my life was changed forever. I'll never forget the exact moment I realized:

This is happening. You lose. Embrace it and move on.

I recently relived this feeling with a failed Halloween costume that I'd planned for quite a while.  As it turns out, the primary component to my outfit may or may not even exist in this universe.   Unfortunately, I'd already collected everything else that I needed and spent a good amount of time trying to make it work when I found that out.  Even then, the moment I decided it was time to let go was like the world being lifted from my shoulders.

Granted my costume may not be awesome, but my quality of life has increased with the decrease in stress to a degree that makes me wonder...

What else can I give up on?

Below is the list of life goals I could possibly let go of with their respective stress reduction percentages. I've entitled it:

Things to Let Go of with Their Respective Stress Reduction Percentages
  1. Finding a Husband - 50% reduction
  2. Making Money - 40% reduction
  3. Exercising - 5% reduction
  4. Feeding Myself - 2.5% reduction
  5. Getting out of Bed - 2.5% reduction
So there you have it! Giving up on life entirely = 100% relief of stress.  If only I'd learned this sooner, I may not have wasted so much time and energy trying to get ahead or accomplish things!

Maybe one day I'll declare total defeat.  In the meantime...

I still REALLY love to win.

2 comments:

Mom said...

and the winner for best essay on stress relief and quality of life is....AMIIIII! Way to go, Ami!

Really tho, What are you going to "be" for trick or treating with the boys?!

Christopher said...

Yes, you have yet to tell!