Sunday, November 23, 2008

Eternal....Something

Yesterday my sister April got married! Congratulations to her! It really was a great day. Busy, crazy, tiring, and slightly chilly...but great. This was wedding #6 for me. (Not quite 27, but I'm on my way!) Each of them has had a special little twist.

Two weddings ago, my best friend who is a little over a year younger than me had a reception in my home ward where we grew up together. Those who knew our age difference gave me looks that said, "Wait, aren't you older than she is?" or "No hope for you then, I guess."

The last wedding I was in was in a completely different state where I knew no one. The only problem with that was that I still stood in line, but being at the end and from out of town, nobody cared to shake my hand. (Although, I'm not sure I'd consider that a problem.)

The catch for this particular wedding was that all of the guests know us both and being the younger sister...expect me to follow soon after. Through all of the "You must be next!"s and the "When will this be you?"s and the "I wouldn't give you more than a year!"s I came to a definite and liberating resolution:

Weddings are totally more trouble than they're worth. When I do finally get married, it'll be a total surprise to everyone!!! Close relatives* will receive invitations to some exotic temple ceremony with flight itineraries enclosed one week prior to the marriage. I will send out anouncements the day I get back from my honeymoon with an address listed to which friends may send gifts should they so wish. NOBODY will have to stand in line next to me and receive consolation comments and unnecessary pressure. I believe THAT is what makes me a true friend.

*If you would like to be on the "free plane tickets" list rather than the "find out sometime later and send gift" list I will need to know. Not any time soon, however...

11 comments:

Kristen said...

I would officially like to be added to the list! (I don't want to forget!)

Britanee Walker said...

found your blog! i really like that route instead...how do we get added to the list??? :)

Ami said...

You're both in!... I'm thinking the first 20 to sign up?! Three so far...17 left.

Brooke said...

Oh you BETTER put me on the list!! That sounds like a good idea to me. People can be so annoying. I get the questions about when am I going to have a baby and "How long have you been married" and "what are you waiting for" and "How old are you" blah blah. Of course we want kids and will have them. But it is so frustrating to be asked all the time. We didn't have a line or bridesmaids or any of that stuff at our wedding and I loved it. It was more casual and we actually got to enjoy our day! I love you Ami Poo!

Shauna said...

haha, i love it! freak, put me on the list to go to some exotic place!! hope all is well for ya!

- jeana said...

add me to the "free flight" list please. did i make the top 20? :)

Ami said...

You guys are all in! Congrats. This offer is a blog exclusive...which gives you the advantage.

Christopher said...

I do hope you would include big bro(me) and Shar and Ian and AJ and Logan and Phelan (and Orrin in about 3 months). We want to go, too! And you know you would have MUCH more fun with your big bro, big sis-in-law and the bulk of your nephews along! ;)

Christopher said...

I am sorry Ami, that you get all that from others. I suppose Andrew gets that as well--or something close to it.
When I announce we are expecting another child, just about every time after the 2nd, I have had some snide remark similar to "You know what causes that, right?". I've learned to respond with "Yes, it's called happiness in marriage!"
I've endured that with Logan, Phelan and now with number 5. Usually it's a coworker or someone else who doesn't quite have the eternal perspective of families...

Erin said...

We better be on the list. If its a free plane ticket, make sure its really an exotic location.

Matt and Angelica said...

Um...I love that this is your plan. Because mine is quite, quite similar. I haven't thought about the gift list after the honeymoon, but close family, a week before, plane tickets to an exotic place with a temple located nearby (how do you spell Hawaii). This has been the plan post mission. Ever since I realized how much I detest weddings, and I don't want all the exhaustion and problems that come with it. I want just the happiness, the hubby and the honeymoon. Ya know? And the family and eternity....